SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ: Bleach And Red Hair Color - Is It Damaging?

Question:
My hair is dark brown and I would like to color my hair bright red. How damaging would be the bleach for my hair? Is there any other way to achieve my goal without bleach?

Answer:
In order to have bright red hair, you need to bring color of your hair to a light stage and then tone it. Now it depends how light you have to make it on the target color. If you are looking for warm reds (red/orange red shade), you can bring it to a light orange-y shade and then apply a toner. If you are looking for cool reds (blue/violet red), then you need to bring it to a very pale yellow-almost white stage before you can apply a toner.

Bleach should be used if you colored your hair previously, OR if your hair is very dark (dark brown, black) and you want to bring it to a very pale blond for blue/violet red.

However, you probably could use high lift color (slightly less damaging to hair) if you are looking a for red/orange shade AND your hair was previously NEVER colored.



Credit:
The images above are

  • bright red/orange-y shade - from Hairdressers Journal Interactive hji.co.uk
  • bright red/violet shade - from squidoo.com



Note:

This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.