FAQ: Black-Red-Bleach Hair Color Question

I dyed my hair black six months ago, and now I would like to dye it red, but I really don't want to bleach it. Will my hair take the red color since it's been about 6 months since I dyed it?

It depends on what type of color you used. If you used temporary black color, that should not be a problem. If you used a semi-permanent, demi-permanent or permanent color, then that will be a problem.
If your last color application was 6 months ago, and you never touched the hair since, your regrowth will take the color, because it is virgin (a never colored hair). Same applies to a hair colored with a temporary color, since it is only a coating color (on the surface) and washes away with each shampoo.

If you used a semi-, demi- or permanent color, the artificial pigments of these tints penetrate the hair and get deposited for as long as you keep the hair and cannot be colored over with a lighter shade. These tints may somewhat fade, but nevertheless, the majority of the pigment stays put.
However, if you would try to color light artificial color to a darker shade that would not be a problem.

So if you used one of the permanent colors, you are now facing two options:

  1. color your hair and cut the hair that will not turn red off (you will end up with about 3 inches long hair)
  2. a color remover or bleach should be used on color treated hair (NOT on the virgin regrowth)  to bring hair to a slightly lighter red shade then the target color and then color the hair with the red color you like.
I am sorry to disappoint you, but there is no other way around it. You can do a strand test to see how it will turn out.

The beautiful image of Jessica Stam by a photographer Gabor Jurina above is a property of: 


This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.