SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ - Dark Hair And Corrective Highlights

Question:
I have naturally black hair and I went to a salon to get light brown highlights. The first time the stylist did it, it came out ok. So I go back 3 months later to get a touch up and I loved the color it came out the day I got out from the salon. Just after a few days it started turning orange! So I go back and she had to tone it down to get the orange color out so now I just have brown color highlights in my hair, it is now time for touch-ups again but I want for the hair that I have a lighter brown with maybe a blondish highlights. Is that possible?


Answer:
Yes it is possible. In order to get light brown (blond) "hi-lites" on your black hair, your hairdresser has to use bleach to get as much of red/orange/dark yellow pigments out from your hair. Do not bleach hair to the white stage! Some of the very pale yellow pigments should stay inside your hair. Once it is done then your hairdresser needs to put in the desired shade of light brown toner (if you want blond then desired shade of blond toner). Since your hair will be bleached and the bleach has to stay on your hair longer (than on naturally lighter hair of other people), it will be more damaging to your hair - so naturally hair colorist needs to be more careful and not to over-process the hair in the future. I would also do some conditioning treatment. If the desired outcome is achieved, write all the info down so it can be repeated in same steps. You do not want to do too many corrections as it will damage/muddy-up your hair color.

Also make sure that your hairdresser does ONLY touch up on the roots after the correction of your "hi-lites", to prevent further damage to already processed hair.



Note:
This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post only. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.