SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ: Coloring Hair With Food Coloring Pigments

Question:
I would like to dye my hair with food coloring, but I do not want to bleach my hair. Will it work?

Answer:
If you want a very bright color you need to bleach the hair.

If you will not bleach your hair prior to tinting with the food color it may or may not give your hair just a hue ( it depends on the darkness/lightness of your hair and hair's porousness). Without using chemicals in the color formula a pigment only attaches itself to a hair surface - it doesn't penetrate hair. It also slowly washes away, since it is not a permanent color.



Note:
This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post only. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.

2 comments:

  1. My hair is very very curly and thick. i have dark blonde highlights. Do you think I will be able to dye my highlights in my hair? If so, how long do I leave the food coloring in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your hair was processed chemically (ie. highlights) into a blond stage, you should be able to dye your hair with food coloring. The porousness of your hair and the color concentration will determine how your hair will turn out. Sometimes it is hard to get the food coloring out, sometimes it washes out faster.

    Since you have a lot of hair, you could cut off a thin strand of your hair in an inconspicuous area, tape it to any strong tape (so it stays in place) and do a strand test (color the cut off hair with a small amount of coloring). Leave the coloring on for 30-40 minutes, then rinse (if you'll color your hair then shampoo). If stronger color is desired re-apply the color and leave for another 20 minutes. If the color doesn't change after 20 minutes you will most likely not be able to make it any darker/stronger in your desired shade.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.