SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ: Can I Color My Hair Black Then Go Back To My Original Color

Question:
My hair is dark blond and I would like to try coloring it black. Can I go back to my original color if I do not like it? Is there such a product just to try out?

Answer:
A regular permanent hair color will not fade much. Once you color it, that's it. To go back to your natural color is nearly impossible. You can strip your hair to a light color and then color it with a color close to your natural hair, but that will most likely fade over time also. Either way, you will see regrowth (roots) of your natural hair. That is the only way how you can go to your natural hair - grow it out.
There is a semi-permanent hair color, which would coat your hair on the surface, however some of the pigments do penetrate into the hair, so even if it would wash over the time slowly, you still would have dark hair, but not as black.
A temporary color is supposed to color your hair only until you wash it out. I think this type of color would be best to try it out, however again it depends how porous your hair is and given the dark pigment (actually darkest in the color spectrum) it may take a while before it gets washed and the colored hair still may stay slightly darker than a natural hair.

Ways to try out black "hair color"

  • a wig to see if I black color would suit you (porcelain skin colored people look nice and dramatic with black color)
  • a test - buy yourself a TEMPORARY hair color (such as Revlon), cut out a strand, tape it so the hair stays grouped together and color it. Process according to company directions, then wash the hair strand every day to see how fast and how much it will fade
  • buy a temporary hair color stick (also by Revlon - Roux) and apply to your hair
  • try to find a black color styling mouse (I think Revlon makes it also) and apply to your hair
The temporary stick and mouse may not be as dark on your hair as a color from the bottle.


Credit:
The image above is from hairproducts.com website. The image of a color stick below is from sallybeauty.com


Note:

This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.