SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ: Which Hair Dye Should I Buy?

Question:
My natural hair color is somewhere between light and medium brown. My hair was done in a salon few times, but that is too costly for my budget. When I color my hair with a permanent dye at home it usually turns brassy. I would like to achieve a nice natural looking blond color with some brown in it. Is there a product that is better than others? What do you think of "Sun In" product? Will it give me a natural, non brassy look? I do not want to waste my money on products that will not work.

Answer:
It is not about which product is better. You can buy Revlon, Clairol, L'Oreal.... practically any product. They have usually a similar quality. It is about the pigment in the bottle. Your hair is turning brassy for three reasons:

  1. you are using a tint that has wrong pigmentation (aim for blue based blond dyes)
  2. you are using too "dark" tint (instead of dark blond use light blond or even high lift color)
  3. or both 1. and 2.
If you want some brown in your hair, then you need to highlight your hair instead of single process it.

Sun In will probably turn your hair brassy, since it will lift your pigment just a little. If you use it over and over it will make your hair light, but repeated application on already processed hair will make your hair damaged and brittle.

Credit:
The above image of Angelina Jolie is a property of  anythinghollywood.com. It is a perfect example of light blond hair being highlighted into the "ash" shade, probably using either high lift color or bleach.

Note:

This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely recommend for you to check out our site. You'll be able to pick from a wide variety of color of different shades of colors. I'm sure you'll be able to find something suitable for any blonde or brunette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my readers:

    Decolour is marketing their products here for free, so keep on mind - it is about the pigment in the bottle, and check what any product is made of too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I read somewhere that if you want to use sun-in but you don't want brassiness, then you should use baking soda to wash your hair when you are done. It would be a risk though. Anytime you are messing around with your hair at home, you are risking.. well.. your whole head of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment.

    I never heard of this and I never tried this. But, some companies add baking soda to some of their toothpastes, so I guess it cannot be so bad. However, if baking soda is mixed with vinegar it chemically reacts - remember a volcano experiment in school? So, I would never put a soda on my hair when I have sun-in "sitting" on my hair.

    Anyone that wants to try this experiment, should do a strand test = cut a piece of hair, tape it to hold it together, spray sun-in on it, wait, then rinse, a then shampoo with a bit of baking soda. You can see, what will happen to tat strand of hair. You can do two test strands to compare hair strands - one shampooed with baking soda, one without.

    Actually this is a great science project :-)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.