SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ: How Do I Get Rid Of My Perm?

Question:
I had a perm done a while ago, but now I want my straight hair back. Can I buy a perm and put it on my hair and make it straight?

Answer:
Actually a perm is for making hair curly, and a straightener is for making your hair straight. The straightener is a paste and make your curly hair straight, unlike the perm (which can loosen up the curls, but it is not pasty and will not do as good job as straightener). So, instead of using a perm, it is better to use a straightener and follow manufacturers directions.
However, you must be careful what kind of straightener you purchase, as some are very strong, and if you do not use the right kind, your hair may get so damaged that it may either become very dry, or become very "gummy", or break and fall out (so called chemical haircut). You would have to work with a chemical VERY fast, and most likely not leave it on too long. You would have to be VERY careful not to get the chemical into your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. A skilled hairdresser usually checks if a client's hair is still curly during processing, and visually examines a hair texture as well.

Hair can be straightened with so called "Keratin Treatment", but Keratin Treatments contain either a formaldehyde OR some form of an aldehyde that turns into a formaldehyde. I am not in a favor of this chemical as it causes a cancer.

I would recommend visiting a salon to have it done properly, making sure your hair doesn't over-process.

Have you considered using a flat iron until your hair grows out?

Credit:
The images above is a property of: WIKIPEDIA


Note:

This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.