SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ: How To Make My Hair Stay Pin Straight?

Question:
My hair is wavy but thick. I straighten my hair with a high quality flat iron right after I apply a heat protectant. However, my hair never stays completely straight. What am I doing wrong?

Answer:

  1. You may be leaving some moisture in your hair
  2. A humidity from the air may be getting into your hair
  3. Everyone's head sweats at night and "restructures" the hair while people sleep
All these situations "spring" your hair back to a wavy stage. Some of these situations can be fixed, some cannot.  

To improve your flat ironing skill, you can try this:
  • after conditioning your hair, rinse it with cool water/vinegar mixture to "semi-close" your hair cuticle (1 TBSP of vinegar to 1 or 1 and 1/2 cups of water, you can add your favorite essential oil to give your mixture a nice smell)
  • wrap your hair with a towel for few minutes, then dry your hair completely with a blow dryer (do not burn your hair)
  • after applying your heat protectant, use high heat on your iron, but make sure you move the iron without stopping
  • when done, iron your hair again to ensure your hair cuticle is as flat and "closed" as possible (again do not stay in one spot - you need to move your GHD/flat iron down the hair shaft)
  • if you wear your hair for couple of additional days, touch up your hair with your iron as your hair may get wavy due to your sweating at night while you sleep

Credit: The Gwyneth Paltrow's image is a property of THIS website.

Note:

This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.