SEARCH THIS BLOG AND WEB

FAQ: My Hair Ends Are Dark After Coloring

Question:
My hair color has an ash tone and is pretty healthy. I have been coloring my hair in the past with a lighter shade hair color, but my hair ends are dark after I color my hair and I am not able to make my hair lighter no matter how I try. My hair length is medium. What hair color brand should I purchase that would lighten my ends?

Answer:
You are doing one thing wrong - a color application. You apply a hair color on your hair in a wrong manner. If you previously colored your hair, then the next consecutive color applications should be applied only to your roots. You can freshen up your hair color on the rest of the hair only if you dilute the rest of the leftover color. This is done especially for reds and darks. You could skip it for blonds, but if you want your blond to be on a "cool" (ashy) side, then squirt any blue or violet shampoo into your color mixture. Your dark ends need to be treated with bleach at this point, because you have a build up of various color pigments inside your hair from repeated application. I would probably put a little bleach on a wide tooth comb and comb it on the dark ends just to give it a little "lift" (it will turn hair lighter). You need to watch how fast the color is lifting = how long you need to leave the bleach on before you shampoo it out. You can purchase bleach at your local beauty supply store. Ask any clerk what he/she recommends.

Although the image above has been colored purposely light to dark. However, it is the best example of dark ends if someone would repeatedly color the entire hair shaft every 4-6 weeks - which after a while ends turn dark or even black in color.

Credit:
The image above is from THIS website.


Note: 
This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.