FAQ: How Do I Color My Hair Back To Original Color?

I had my natural brown hair highlighted with blonde yellowish streaks which looks weird with my natural brown hair. I've tried dying it brown, but it washed away soon after. Do I just buy a black dye and color my hair or do I have to take special steps? I've heard about fillers. What are those and do I need to use them? Could I skip that step?

The first time you colored your hair back, you didn't use any filler, right. So the answer to if you can skip "the filler step" - yes, you can. But, if your color didn't hold, it would be great idea to use the right filler. Fillers come in different shades and are supposed to deposit pigment to faded/bleached hair, to help retain a color after coloring, make sure that color gets processed in a uniform manner, and it helps to balance color so hair doesn't get off-color shades. Now, if you use a black color, all your hair will be black. I would use filler, and color over it with one shade darker brown color than what you used last time. Fillers can be found in your local beauty supply store.

This post should be taken as a first step for a discussion with your hairdresser and/or colorist about your ideas, desires or problems with your hair. Under no circumstances, you should act upon this post ONLY. I strongly advice you to have your hair done by a skilled and reputable hairdresser/colorist in your area.